Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Am Officially a Big Girl.



I traded my Mercedes for an SUV this week. I did it. I hate to sound shallow, but it tugged at me a little bit. But I put the safety of my family before looking cool while crawling through the line at Starbucks. As heart-wrenching as it was, it made me think of all the things that define you as an adult. Is it the music you listen to? But I still crank my Jay-Z and Rhi-Rhi and sing at strangers on I-95...do mature people do that? Is it the political and current events journals you subscribe to? Cuz I still get hypnotized in the grocery line by a glossy US Weekly cover...who doesn't? Is it the conversations you have with your adult friends? Because my friends and I straight up talk about Britney's weight fluctuations. Is it the books you read? Are you there Vodka? It's Me...Chelsea is currently on my nightstand. Discuss. Is it the furniture you have? Brian soooo has a foosball table where our formal dining area should be.

So, how do you know? Do you wake up one day and have it all click? I think that it's in the choices you make. No, work friend, I will not go have margaritas after school, Day Care closes at 6.

All kidding aside, I think when I realized I had become an adult was when I realized myself and Brian were currently all she had. We were the ones making the decisions. We were the ones shaping how her life would be. Scary, yes. But, so much fun.


We went pumpkin hunting last Sunday; ironically, just like my friend Hollie did recently. I looked at her pictures and there is one of her beautiful girl that looks almost identical to one we took of Rylee. It made me think back to the silly girls Hollie and I were in college. We ran around without a care in the world, I'm sure, praying to never get old. Now, looking at those girls, it actually feels good. We have come a long way from calling HSN late into the night, demanding diamondique bracelets. We are now ahem...mature.

So, in that vain, here is my most recent favorite picture of the precious doll that is Rylee. We almost needed pull-ups ourselves when she walked too close to the TV. Much better than a C-Class...but still one day...

She's phoning back to the mother ship.

Ugh. I am SO over pumpkins.

1 comment:

Hollie said...

Awww VA! I got a little teary eyed. But only for a second b/c then Kate screamed and I was slapped back to reality.

Loved seeing your pics!